If you’ve ever unintentionally activated the Emergency SOS feature on your iPhone or if you have a reason to disable it, you may be wondering how to turn off SOS on iPhone. iPhones come equipped with an Emergency SOS feature that can be triggered by pressing the side button or volume button repeatedly. This feature is designed to swiftly call emergency services during critical situations.
Fortunately, disabling the Emergency SOS feature is a straightforward process that can be done directly from your iPhone’s settings. However, it’s important to note that disabling SOS should be done thoughtfully, as emergency services are essential and the feature exists for our safety.
What does SOS mean on an iPhone?
SOS on iPhone is a feature that enables you to quickly request help in emergency situations. When activated, it automatically dials the local emergency services number and sends a message to your emergency contacts, notifying them that you require assistance. The SOS feature is particularly useful when you find yourself in a dangerous predicament and need prompt help. It also proves beneficial in areas with weak cell reception. The feature is available on all iPhones running iOS 11 or later versions and is simple to use.
Reasons to Turn Off SOS on iPhone
While the SOS feature on your iPhone can be a life-saving tool, there are instances where you might want to disable it:
- Accidental triggering: If you repeatedly activate the SOS feature unintentionally, it may be preferable to turn it off to avoid any false alarms.
- Unwanted emergency calls: With the Auto Call feature enabled, your iPhone will automatically call emergency services if you press and hold the side button and volume button. If you wish to prevent the risk of inadvertently dialing emergency services, it’s advisable to disable this feature.
- Alternative button usage: If the side button on your iPhone is overly sensitive and keeps triggering the SOS feature when you don’t intend to use it, disabling it allows you to utilize the button for other functions.
It’s important to note that while turning off the SOS feature can help avoid accidental emergency calls, it is a valuable tool in genuine emergencies. Consider the pros and cons before deciding to turn off SOS on the iPhone.
How to Turn off SOS on iPhone
To disable the Emergency SOS feature on your iPhone, follow these simple steps:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on the Emergency SOS option.
- Toggle off the Auto Call option.
By turning off Auto Call, your iPhone will no longer automatically dial emergency services when you press the side button five times in quick succession. If you wish to prevent accidental triggering of the Emergency SOS feature while trying to turn off your iPhone or capture a screenshot, you can also toggle off the Call with Side Button option.
It’s worth mentioning that even with Auto Call disabled, you can still manually use the Emergency SOS feature by swiping right on the Lock screen and tapping the Emergency SOS button.
Other Methods to Turn Off SOS on iPhone
Aside from using the Settings app, here’s how to turn off SOS on iPhone through the Control Center or by using Siri.
Using Control Center
- Swipe down from the top-right corner of the screen to open the Control Center.
- Press and hold the Emergency SOS button until the Emergency SOS slider appears.
- Slide the Emergency SOS slider to the left to turn it off.
- Activate Siri by pressing and holding the Side button or saying “Hey Siri.”
- Say “Turn off Emergency SOS” or “Disable Emergency SOS.”
- Siri will confirm that Emergency SOS has been turned off.
Remember that disabling Emergency SOS means you won’t be able to utilize it during emergencies. Ensure you’re comfortable with turning it off before doing so. If you ever need to contact emergency services, you can still do so by directly dialing 911 or your local emergency number.
In conclusion, knowing how to turn off SOS on iPhone can be useful in certain situations. While it can be a valuable tool during emergencies, it’s important to consider the reasons why you may want to turn it off. Accidental triggering, the risk of unintentional emergency calls, or the need to use the side button for other functions are all valid reasons to disable SOS.
Fortunately, the process is straightforward, and you can do it through your iPhone’s settings, Control Center, or even using Siri. Just remember to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision and ensure that you’re comfortable with turning off the feature. And should you ever need to use Emergency SOS again, you can easily re-enable it by following the same steps. Ultimately, knowing how to customize your iPhone’s settings to suit your needs empowers you to make the most of its features while ensuring a seamless user experience.